n i j o m u is the web home of Nick Mullins.
I make comics. My work tends to explore the tensions between individual identity and societal expectation, looking not only at how personal narrative resists social paradigm but also what happens when both break down. Some common themes include family, art, and gender. My work has been recognized for its formal innovation and emotional honesty. I draw in pen-and-ink which I then edit and augment digitally.
I also write about comics, both reviews and studies on form. My meditations on the medium are informed by my years of reading, both comics and theory, and by being a practitioner.
In my other life, I am an educator with over twelve years of teaching in the classroom. I have spent most of my career helping college students to write, read, and analyze critically.
I live in California with my wife and daughter where I train in Aikido and raise puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Thanks for visiting.
anthologies, journals, etc.
- “In Water,” Red Fez issue 111, April 2018
- “Icarus,” Nashville Review No.19, Spring 2016
- “Mystery,” Fourteen Hills Vol.22 No.1, January 2016
- “The Planner,” The Comic Eye, December 2007
- “Kit Kaleidoscope and the Mermaid in the Jar,” Modern Tales: Longplay, April 2004
- “Ghosts,” Legal Action Comics 2, September 2003
- “Corn Flakes in the Bedsheets,” True Porn, August 2003
- “Holiday Phone-Call,” Modern Tales: Longplay, June 2003
- The Lost Cause of Poetry, April 2019
- This Wasn’t the Plan, November 2018
- Sink, September 2017
- Carnivale: a Kit Kaleidoscope Story, 1st ed: March 2014; 2nd ed: September 2017
- Defrost, July 2012
- Holiday Funeral, 1st ed: December 2006; 2nd ed: February 2008; 3rd ed: February 2012
- Kit Kaleidoscope, 1st ed: April 2005; 2nd ed: October 2010
- Litmus Test 1-13, from October 1996 to February 2004
- Jack Face, July 1996
- “Panther by Brecht Evens,” Drawn and Quarterly, May 20, 2016
- “In Review- ‘Defrost’ from Nick Mullins,” Tony Ez Esmond, Never Iron Anything!, April 30, 2019
- “Review of This Wasn’t The Plan,” Peter Dabbene, Foreword Reviews, Nov/Dec 2018
- “Defrost Review,” Ashley Victoria Robinson, Major Spoilers, March 21, 2015
- “What We’re Reading: Carnivale,” Aaron King, Hazel & Wren, September 4, 2014
- “Integrating Text and Images in Comics,” Grant C Thomas, Comix Talk, September 30, 2007
- “Super Stud… er, I Mean, Super Spy,” Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comix, May 18 2007
- “…Home Again,” Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comix, April 26, 2007
- ComixTalk End of 2007 Roundtable, Brigid Alverson, et al., Comix Talk, December 17, 2007
- “Yes, it looks just like her,” Peter H., MetaFilter, December 9, 2005