n i j o m u is the web home of Nick Mullins.
Creating comics leads me to thinking about comics, and so writing about comics. I sometimes discuss my process or explore theoretical studies of the medium. I also recommend books that I’ve enjoyed. Many of these writings can be found on this site. Links to pieces published elsewhere can be found below.
On this blog, I also tend to write about drawing in pen-and-ink more generally and share lessons I’ve learned, as well as tools and resources that I’ve discovered.
In my professional life, I am a teacher. For over twenty years, I have been helping students to write, read, and analyze critically.
I live with my spouse and daughter in California where I train in Aikido and take care of two aging cats.
Thanks for visiting.
To get notifications of what I’m working on, sign up for my newsletter.
anthologies, journals, etc.
- “In Water,” Red Fez issue 111, April 2018
- “Icarus,” Nashville Review No.19, Spring 2016
- “Mystery,” Fourteen Hills Vol.22 No.1, January 2016
- “The Planner,” The Comic Eye, December 2007
- “Kit Kaleidoscope and the Mermaid in the Jar,” Modern Tales: Longplay, April 2004
- “Ghosts,” Legal Action Comics 2, September 2003
- “Corn Flakes in the Bedsheets,” True Porn, August 2003
- “Holiday Phone-Call,” Modern Tales: Longplay, June 2003
- The Lost Cause of Poetry, April 2019
- This Wasn’t the Plan, November 2018
- Sink, September 2017
- Carnivale: a Kit Kaleidoscope Story, 1st ed: March 2014; 2nd ed: September 2017
- Defrost, July 2012
- Holiday Funeral, 1st ed: December 2006; 2nd ed: February 2008; 3rd ed: February 2012
- Kit Kaleidoscope, 1st ed: April 2005; 2nd ed: October 2010
- Litmus Test 1-13, from October 1996 to February 2004
- Jack Face, July 1996
- “Panther by Brecht Evens,” Drawn and Quarterly, May 20, 2016
- “In Review- ‘Defrost’ from Nick Mullins,” Tony Ez Esmond, Never Iron Anything!, April 30, 2019
- “Review of This Wasn’t The Plan,” Peter Dabbene, Foreword Reviews, Nov/Dec 2018
- “Defrost Review,” Ashley Victoria Robinson, Major Spoilers, March 21, 2015
- “What We’re Reading: Carnivale,” Aaron King, Hazel & Wren, September 4, 2014
- “The Best of ComiXology Submit,” Jason Tabrys, February 25, 2014
- “Integrating Text and Images in Comics,” Grant C Thomas, Comix Talk, September 30, 2007
- “Super Stud… er, I Mean, Super Spy,” Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comix, May 18 2007
- “…Home Again,” Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comix, April 26, 2007
- ComixTalk End of 2007 Roundtable, Brigid Alverson, et al., Comix Talk, December 17, 2007
- “Yes, it looks just like her,” Peter H., MetaFilter, December 9, 2005