n i j o m u is the web home of Nick Mullins.
Creating comics leads me to thinking about comics, and so writing about comics. I sometimes discuss my process or explore theoretical studies of the medium. I also recommend books that I’ve enjoyed. Many of these writings can be found on this site. Links to pieces published elsewhere can be found below.
On this blog, I also tend to write about drawing in pen-and-ink more generally and share lessons I’ve learned, as well as tools and resources that I’ve discovered.
In my professional life, I am a teacher. For over fifteen years, I have been helping college students to write, read, and analyze critically. Before that I briefly taught high school English.
I live with my wife and daughter in California where I train in Aikido and raise puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Thanks for visiting.
To get notifications of what I’m working on, sign up for my newsletter.
anthologies, journals, etc.
- “In Water,” Red Fez issue 111, April 2018
- “Icarus,” Nashville Review No.19, Spring 2016
- “Mystery,” Fourteen Hills Vol.22 No.1, January 2016
- “The Planner,” The Comic Eye, December 2007
- “Kit Kaleidoscope and the Mermaid in the Jar,” Modern Tales: Longplay, April 2004
- “Ghosts,” Legal Action Comics 2, September 2003
- “Corn Flakes in the Bedsheets,” True Porn, August 2003
- “Holiday Phone-Call,” Modern Tales: Longplay, June 2003
- The Lost Cause of Poetry, April 2019
- This Wasn’t the Plan, November 2018
- Sink, September 2017
- Carnivale: a Kit Kaleidoscope Story, 1st ed: March 2014; 2nd ed: September 2017
- Defrost, July 2012
- Holiday Funeral, 1st ed: December 2006; 2nd ed: February 2008; 3rd ed: February 2012
- Kit Kaleidoscope, 1st ed: April 2005; 2nd ed: October 2010
- Litmus Test 1-13, from October 1996 to February 2004
- Jack Face, July 1996
- “Panther by Brecht Evens,” Drawn and Quarterly, May 20, 2016
- “In Review- ‘Defrost’ from Nick Mullins,” Tony Ez Esmond, Never Iron Anything!, April 30, 2019
- “Review of This Wasn’t The Plan,” Peter Dabbene, Foreword Reviews, Nov/Dec 2018
- “Defrost Review,” Ashley Victoria Robinson, Major Spoilers, March 21, 2015
- “What We’re Reading: Carnivale,” Aaron King, Hazel & Wren, September 4, 2014
- “The Best of ComiXology Submit,” Jason Tabrys, February 25, 2014
- “Integrating Text and Images in Comics,” Grant C Thomas, Comix Talk, September 30, 2007
- “Super Stud… er, I Mean, Super Spy,” Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comix, May 18 2007
- “…Home Again,” Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comix, April 26, 2007
- ComixTalk End of 2007 Roundtable, Brigid Alverson, et al., Comix Talk, December 17, 2007
- “Yes, it looks just like her,” Peter H., MetaFilter, December 9, 2005