n i j o m u is the web home of Nick Mullins.
I have been comics artist my entire life, but began my first mini-comics in 1996. I use pen-and-ink to explore themes of art, gender, and relationships. I am particularly interested in the narratives we tell ourselves and what happens when those narratives are proven to be insufficient. I am also constantly curious about the comics form and am continually inspired to explore it.
In my other life, I am an educator with over twelve years of teaching in the classroom. I have spent most of my career helping community college students to write, read, and analyze critically. Currently I am working with middle and high school students.
I live in California with my wife and daughter where I train in Aikido and volunteer at a local state park.
Thanks for visiting.
anthologies, journals, etc.
- “In Water,” Red Fez issue 111, April 2018
- “Icarus,” Nashville Review No.19, Spring 2016
- “Mystery,” Fourteen Hills Vol.22 No.1, January 2016
- “The Planner,” The Comic Eye, December 2007
- “Kit Kaleidoscope and the Mermaid in the Jar,” Modern Tales: Longplay, April 2004
- “Ghosts,” Legal Action Comics 2, September 2003
- “Corn Flakes in the Bedsheets,” True Porn, August 2003
- “Holiday Phone-Call,” Modern Tales: Longplay, June 2003
- Sink, September 2017
- Carnivale: a Kit Kaleidoscope Story, 1st ed: March 2014; 2nd ed: September 2017
- Defrost, July 2012
- Holiday Funeral, 1st ed: December 2006; 2nd ed: February 2008; 3rd ed: February 2012
- Kit Kaleidoscope, 1st ed: April 2005; 2nd ed: October 2010
- Litmus Test 1-13, from October 1996 to February 2004
- Jack Face, July 1996
- “Panther by Brecht Evens,” Drawn and Quarterly, May 20, 2016
- “Defrost Review,” Ashley Victoria Robinson, Major Spoilers, March 21, 2015
- “What We’re Reading: Carnivale,” Aaron King, Hazel & Wren, September 4, 2014
- “Integrating Text and Images in Comics,” Grant C Thomas, Comix Talk, September 30, 2007
- “Super Stud… er, I Mean, Super Spy,” Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comix, May 18 2007
- “…Home Again,” Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comix, April 26, 2007
- ComixTalk End of 2007 Roundtable, Brigid Alverson, et al., Comix Talk, December 17, 2007
- “Yes, it looks just like her,” Peter H., MetaFilter, December 9, 2005